DIDN’T GET THE WELCOME EMAIL BELOW? FEAR NOT….YOU CAN AVOID MISSING OUT ON FUTURE UPDATES BY SENDING A BLANK EMAIL TO CANOES-SUBSCRIBE@MAILLIST.OX.AC.UK TO BE KEPT IN THE LOOP ABOUT ALL OUR ACTIVITIES.
This bumper email should give you everything that you need to know about trying kayaking, and joining the kayaking club this year. We also have a website (www.ouckc.co.uk) with all sorts of useful information and a Facebook group (www.facebook.com/groups/ouckc). We’re a friendly club that welcome anyone that’s keen to kayak, regardless of previous experience. If you still have questions after reading this email, feel free to get in touch!
- Come and Try It sessions at Port Meadow on Sunday
- Term card (ACTUAL KAYAKING, SOCIALS, TRIPS)
- Come and Try It sessions at Port Meadow on Sunday
- What: Whether you’ve never seen a kayak in real life, or have conquered gnarly rapids, come to one of our friendly, fun, and free sessions in Oxford this Sunday
- When: 11am, 1pm, 3pm on Sunday (11th Oct). If you’re keen for canoe polo, head to the 11am session which will cover the basics and introduce the sport.
- Where: The Shed on Port Meadow. Directions can be found through this GoogleMap (https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zXRsCUnbRcI0.k_Lc5n5h9s1I) and if you are nervous about navigating across Port Meadow alone then there will be someone to meet people 20mins before each session outside the Walton Well Road Car Park
- How: to give us an idea of numbers for each session please sign up on this DoodlePoll – http://doodle.com/poll/36rdguz2c42za59a
- What to bring: you need to bring some enthusiasm and a complete change of clothes (a towel is also very useful). For on the river, synthetic sportswear or thermal type stuff is best. Make sure you have old trainers, wetsuit boots, or something similar to wear on your feet that you don’t mind getting wet. OUCKC will provide a waterproof(ish) jacket (called a cag), and all the actual kayaking equipment. If you do not bring the above then you will not be allowed out on the water. Bringing a bit of cash to get something in the pub (see below) after the session is recommended.
- Afterwards: we’ll head to the pub (Jude the Obscure on Walton St) for a hot chocolate/pint/chips where you can get to know us a bit better. If you’re at one of the earlier sessions, feel free to pop back to join us in the pub at 5/5.30pm. We’ll have membership forms and committee members on hand to answer any of your questions.
*Can’t make it this time? Not to worry, just come along next week (or anytime for that matter). New people are always welcome, but we do ask you to attend a minimum of 2 sessions before signing up for trips.
- Term card
I send out an email every week with a round-up of activities for that week, but a guide to the term is below to enable you to plan your diary in advance to enable you to come to as much as possible. The term card will also be available on the website soon.
- General Paddling sessions on Sundays (11am, 1pm, 3pm weeks 1, 2, 3; 2pm weeks 5, 6, 7, 8): everyone welcome! A bit of learning skills based stuff, some games, or journeys up and down the river.
- Marathon training on Fridays, 7am @ Falcon Rowing Club: ideal if you’re keen to race competitively or just go long distances in a pointy boat. Sessions are open to anyone that feels comfortable in a kayak and cost £2 to cover Falcon Canoe Club equipment use. For further details contact Thomas (Marathon Rep)
- Canoe Polo Training on Sundays 11am @ The Shed: everyone welcome! Canoe polo is sort of like basketball/water polo/netball/hand ball but played in kayaks. Our teams tend to regard enthusiasm more highly than skill.
- Cake and drinks – Thursday 1st week (15th Oct), 8.30pm @ Teddy Hall Bar.
- Freshers’ Curry – Thursday 3th week (29th Oct), 7pm @ Temple Lounge
- Crew Date with OUMC – TBC but probably 5th week
- Christmas Dinner – Thursday 7th week (26th Nov), 7pm @ University Club
And, when there isn’t a specific social on a Thursday, we’ll head to Teddy Hall Bar for drinks (non-alcoholic drinks available too!). We also head to Jude the Obscure after every Sunday session.
- ULU Paddlington Canoe Polo Tournament – End of 1st week. Get in touch with Chris Booth, Canoe Polo Captain, if you’ve done a bit of canoe polo and fancy joining in.
- Freshers’ White Water Trip – End of 3rd week (leaving 30th Oct evening, returning 1st Nov). Even if you’ve never paddled before, a few Sunday sessions will teach you all you need to know to be ready for this trip to South Wales. Sign up will open Sunday 18th Oct in the pub after the kayaking session. Cost £50 which includes accommodation, transport, and food for the weekend. Further details to follow.
- Ladies Canoe Polo Tournament – Saturday 5th week (14th Nov). Afternoon/evening tournament in a nice warm swimming pool in a friendly team that aim to have fun.
- BUCS White Water Race – End of 6th week
- North Wales White Water Trip – End of 7th week. This trip will also be suitable for everyone that regularly comes along to sessions this term, regardless of prior experience.
Membership fees are £35 per year for Oxford University students, and £50 for everyone else. This covers the costs of buying and maintaining all the equipment and sessions the club offers, safety stuff like insurance, and storage of your own kit if you have any. Trips and tournaments are paid for separately. We also offer termly memberships which are £20 for OU-students, and £25 for everyone else.
To join the club, fill in a membership form and pidge with a cheque to Eleanor Broome at St Anne’s College. Alternatively, bring everything along to a session to hand to Eleanor or another committee member. Membership (new or renewal) must be paid before the first trip (end of 3rd week).
Hopefully this has given you a good taste of what OUCKC has on offer. I look forward to seeing lots and lots of you at the first sessions of the term on Sunday!!!
Anja “pressing send and hoping I haven’t forgotten something” Mizdrak